How to Build a Positive Relationship With Your OB/GYN
It took a lot of research, but I finally chose an OB/GYN! I'm confident that she will give me and my baby excellent care. And I want to build a positive relationship with her over the next seven months. One of my nurse friends suggested I take these steps.
1. Be on time. I typically run late to everything, but being on time to doctor appointments can go a long way toward improving my OB/GYN relationship. As an incentive, I plan to pamper myself in the waiting room with a decaf tea and a favorite magazine.
2. Be friendly. Some days, I'm not feeling so hot and get cranky, especially with all this morning sickness. Taking my frustration out on my doctor only makes her day worse, though, and it doesn’t help me feel better, so I'll make an effort to be friendly despite my discomfort.
3. Follow her advice. I know my doctor will only give thoughtful advice. When I follow it, I show that I trust her and encourage her to continue speaking the truth to all her patients.
4. Say thank you. Every person needs to be appreciated, including my OB/GYN. A thank you note goes a long way to building positive rapport. I think she'll love my famous chocolate chip muffins, too.
5. Refer others. Spreading the love and referring my OB/GYN to others is a huge compliment. It's the least I can do to show my appreciation.
These tips will help me build a positive relationship with my OB/GYN. Are there other tips I should try? I definitely want this relationship to stay positive as I partner with my doctor and prepare to welcome my baby into the world!