Nursing Homes: About Nursing Homes
The following articles will highlight the important considerations when choosing a nursing home, including knowing if a nursing home is the right care option. Be sure to browse the links in the top right corner to learn all about the cost and deciding factors when choosing a nursing home community.
Nursing homes also referred to as extended care facilities or nursing and rehabilitation centers are for people who have medical conditions that require 24/7 skilled nursing care. They offer various kinds of medical care including dispensing of medications, wound care, different therapies, rehabilitation from surgeries, and pain management.
Many doctors visit nursing homes instead of having the patient transported to them. A licensed nurse is on duty at all times, and CNA's (certified nursing assistants) and health aides assist as well. In addition to medical care, they also offer dining, personal services, activities such as entertainment and holiday festivities, as well as opportunities for social gathering and physical and mental stimulation. Nursing homes are generally in every community and are often connected to or are near a local hospital.
How do you qualify for nursing home care?
Nursing homes are often recommended by your loved one's physician. Many nursing homes have their own staff of doctors, so patient care will then transfer over to the home staff. For Medicaid eligible care recipients, there is an assessment that qualifies your loved one for nursing home placement based on impairments with activities of daily living.
More Senior Care Services
- Call a Care.com Senior Care Advisor for more assistance: 855-490-8679
- Join in on Senior Care Conversations now! Read our informative Senior Care Blog.
- Caring for your kids AND an aging parent? Join our Sandwhich Generation Group.
- Are you caring for your parent from a distance? Have discussions with other Long Distance Senior Caregivers.
- Join our Senior Care Questions Group to get more questions answered and find caregivers similar to you
>>Review the Senior Care Index for all senior care options.
|Next: Paying for Nursing Homes »|