Fresh and Delicious Strawberry Fruit Roll-ups
A healthy mom-approved version of this all-time favorite snack!
Fresh fruit flavors and plentiful nutrients make these fruity roll-ups a big step up from the artificial store-bought brand. Although the "bake time" is lengthy, the active prep time takes less than 10 minutes! (P.S. This makes a great lunch box treat!)
Bake Time: 5-7 hours
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 granny smith, partly peeled
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 T honey, optional
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 170 degrees or as low as it will go. Note 200 is the max temperature you should use or the sugars in the fruit will begin to burn before they dehydrate.
- Wash fruit and cut the strawberries and apple into pieces. Place in a blender or food processor.
- Zest the lemon into the blender, grating only the yellow outer layer and avoiding the bitter white layer underneath. If you don’t have a zester, a regular grater will work fine.
- Juice half the lemon, eliminating any seeds. Add to the blender with the other ingredients.
- Add 2 T honey. If you love sour fruit rollups, feel free to leave the honey out completely.
- Blend for 2 minutes or until everything is liquefied and there are no large chunks.
- Pour mixture over the parchment and spread evenly 1/8 in thick.
- Place in oven for 3-5 hours depending on the thickness of your fruit. The edges will cook faster than the center so after 3 hours begin checking for doneness. When the edges are done, use clean kitchen shears to cut strips about 1 inch wide and 12 inches long, making sure to cut through the paper and the fruit. Place center back into the oven for another hour or two. If edges become too crispy, brush on some water to rehydrate.
- Roll strips up and secure with a string or small piece of tape. Roll-ups will keep for 1 week in an airtight container or freeze for up to a month.
Leave a comment
Create a free account with Care.com and join our community today.