What Are Some Babysitting Tips?
Need babysitting advice? Even the most seasoned sitters need tips and advice. There are a lot of websites (like Care.com!) that provide tips and tricks for babysitters. On Care.com you can find anything you are looking for-from articles on babysitting crafts and activities to tips on how to get your babysitting business started.
Tips for Getting a Babysitting Job
One of the biggest concerns for any babysitter is how to get a babysitting job. Here are 5 tips:
- Be honest. Job postings may list specific requirements-a car, CPR certification, flexibility, etc. You need to be honest with yourself about your skill set. Do you meet all job requirements? It is important for you and the family to build a bond of trust and applying only to those jobs for which you are qualified shows the family you understand what is expected of you.
- Post a photo. According to our member surveys, families are three times more likely to view your profile if you have a photo posted. A photo helps the family easily recognize you when you show up for an interview and it is a great way to show off your personality.
- Be proactive. Make your Care.com member profile as friendly and informative as possible. Describe your experience and background. Have a background check already on hand to make the process run smoother and faster.
- Use job resources. As a member of Care.com, you can use our promotional tools to create an advertisement for your profile (it will include your picture, your pay rate, and will directly connect a visitor to your profile page on Care.com). Other tools include our popular babysitting rates calculator, which allows families to see what the going rate is for sitters in their town.
- Be prompt and punctual. If someone replies to you about a job opportunity, respond back in a timely manner. And be punctual for all interviews. This shows the family you value their time and are both responsible and reliable.
Stay on top of babysitting news, read up on babysitting tips and tricks, and keep your skill set sharp. Educate yourself by taking classes and reading advice blogs. Tweet a question. Join groups. You are never too seasoned to improve upon your skills.
>>Have more babysitting questions? Return to the main Babysitting FAQs.
Tiffany Smith is the senior associate editor here at Care.com. She has written for All You, Time for Kids and the Boston Globe. And as a former babysitter, she knows a lot about fun games to play with kids. Getting them to eat their veggies -- that’s a different story! Follow her on Twitter @tiffanyiswrite.