Respite Care: How to Get "Respite Minutes"
Here are some helpful ways to feel optimism and peace throughout your care journey.
- Start your day by saying thank you. Keep a gratitude journal and jot down three things each day. Notice the small things-a cardinal playing in your bird bath or the opening of the first crocus in spring.
- Keep that door shut! If your care buddy made it a few hours alone while you slept, you can extend it by another 20 minutes.
- Turn your bedroom into a sanctuary. Don't let boxes, papers, and other clutter bugs migrate back to your room. Paint one wall a color you love and begin to nurture yourself.
- Dress before you leave your room. Shoes and all. Being dressed means you take what you do seriously and you're ready to meet the day.
- Create a morning moment. Consider purchasing a small coffee maker for your bedroom or bathroom. Have that first cup o' joe or hot tea undisturbed.
- Get off the emotional rollercoaster. Have your arsenal of distractions (headphones, a friend on speed-dial, humorous comebacks, and mini-breaks ready.)
- Plan your first 3-minute break. If your morning is spent in caregiving chores, then set the timer for a short walk or playing ball with the dog.
- Reach out. Call a friend, email a friend, go onto a caregiver's forum or branch out: dogbreed boards, knitting or photography sites. Not everything has to be about caregiving!
- Close your eyes mid-day. You need to call Medicare. You need to load the dishwasher. You need to phone in that prescription. You need to...put your feet up. A ten minute nap will make you sharper, stronger, and add years to your life.
- Reward yourself. After a particularly exhausting task plan a hot tea and cookie break. Don't wait on someone else to pat you on the back.
>>Review the Senior Care Index for all senior care options.
|Previous: Learn About Respite Care «||Next: How to Encourage Family Participation »|
Finally! A Help Button that can automatically call for help. In an emergency, every second counts.
Find Answers to your elderlaw questions.
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.