Respite Care: How to Get "Respite Minutes"
Here are some helpful ways to feel optimism and peace throughout your care journey.
- Start your day by saying thank you. Keep a gratitude journal and jot down three things each day. Notice the small things-a cardinal playing in your bird bath or the opening of the first crocus in spring.
- Keep that door shut! If your care buddy made it a few hours alone while you slept, you can extend it by another 20 minutes.
- Turn your bedroom into a sanctuary. Don't let boxes, papers, and other clutter bugs migrate back to your room. Paint one wall a color you love and begin to nurture yourself.
- Dress before you leave your room. Shoes and all. Being dressed means you take what you do seriously and you're ready to meet the day.
- Create a morning moment. Consider purchasing a small coffee maker for your bedroom or bathroom. Have that first cup o' joe or hot tea undisturbed.
- Get off the emotional rollercoaster. Have your arsenal of distractions (headphones, a friend on speed-dial, humorous comebacks, and mini-breaks ready.)
- Plan your first 3-minute break. If your morning is spent in caregiving chores, then set the timer for a short walk or playing ball with the dog.
- Reach out. Call a friend, email a friend, go onto a caregiver's forum or branch out: dogbreed boards, knitting or photography sites. Not everything has to be about caregiving!
- Close your eyes mid-day. You need to call Medicare. You need to load the dishwasher. You need to phone in that prescription. You need to...put your feet up. A ten minute nap will make you sharper, stronger, and add years to your life.
- Reward yourself. After a particularly exhausting task plan a hot tea and cookie break. Don't wait on someone else to pat you on the back.
More Senior Care Services
- Call a Care.com Senior Care Advisor for more assistance: 855-490-8679
- Join in on Senior Care Conversations now! Read our informative Senior Care Blog.
- Caring for your kids AND an aging parent? Join our Sandwhich Generation Group.
- Are you caring for your parent from a distance? Have discussions with other Long Distance Senior Caregivers.
- Join our Senior Care Questions Group to get more questions answered and find caregivers similar to you
>>Review the Senior Care Index for all senior care options.
|Previous: Learn About Respite Care «||Next: How to Encourage Family Participation »|
Find the senior care your loved one deserves
Get a Cash Offer Good for 30 Days! Free Shipping + Fast Payment. Lock in a Risk-Free Offer Today!
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Get a FREE security system when you order an award-winning monitoring service from Protect America.
Over 900,000 Procedures Performed. Get 20% off LASIK today! Locations Nationwide.