If you’re over 50, you can start cashing in on senior discounts. Many stores offer their senior shoppers some form of a deal, but it’s often available only on a specific day or at certain times.
Make sure you check with individual stores to confirm any details or senior discount age requirements, as discounts can change and might vary for national chains, and others might be exclusively AARP discounts. Here’s a handy list of current deals to get you started.
Apparel, retail and thrift stores
Before you head out with friends or family for some retail therapy, do a little leg work ahead of time to locate the stores offering senior citizen discounts.
1. Kohl’s: 15% off discount every Wednesday (60+).
2. Ross Stores: 10% off on Tuesdays (55+).
3. JOANN Fabric & Craft: 20% off on Senior Discount Days (day varies by location) (55+).
4. Amazon Prime: $6 off per month for Prime membership ($5.99/month vs. $12.99/month) if you have a valid EBT or Medicaid card.
5. UPS Store: Up to 15% off with AARP membership (50+).
6. Goodwill: 10-20% off one day a week (discount and day varies by location) (60+).
Grocery, food and pharmacy
Every little bit helps, especially when purchasing daily necessities. With a pre-shopping plan, seniors can save on things like paper towels, bread and prescriptions at a variety of their favorite stores.
7. Fred Meyer: 10% off select items (55+) on first Tuesday of every month.
8. Harris Teeter: 5% off on Thursdays (60+).
9. Hy-Vee: 5% discount on select Wednesdays (55+).
10. Rite Aid: 20% off the first Wednesdays, plus a free pharmacist consultation (65+).
11. Walgreens: Up to 30% off on select Seniors Day (dates vary by location) (55+).
12. WW (formerly Weight Watchers): Up to $120 off a six-month membership with AARP membership (50+).
13. LensCrafters: Discounts on lenses, frames, exams, etc. with AARP membership (50+).
Restaurants and entertainment
Most restaurants offer a senior menu with smaller portions or will take a percentage off the total bill. Early diners may save more by eating during early-bird hours, ordering a late afternoon meal from the lunch menu or splitting an entrée to leave room for dessert. After dinner, check out senior citizen discounts on movie theaters.
14. El Pollo Loco: 10% off (60+).
15. Denny’s: 15% off for AARP members (50+).
16. Carrabba’s Italian Grill: 10% off with AARP membership (50+).
17. AMC Theatres: Discounted senior pricing (60+).
18. Cinemark: Discounted tickets on Senior Day (62+).
Some mainstream hotels offer discounts on an endless number of destinations. Plan a night or two elsewhere and bring your partner, friends or family along.
19. Best Western: Up to 15% off (55+).
20. Marriott: Up to 15% off (62+).
21. Choice Hotels: Up to 10% off with advanced reservations (60+).
22. Motel 6: Up to 8% off (60+).
23. Red Roof Inn: 10% off (59+).
25. National Parks: $20 annual park pass, $80 lifetime pass, plus 50% off select amenity fees (62+).
Many seniors might not think about a weekend away as an opportunity to save money. However, plenty of car rental companies, airlines, cruise lines and other methods of transportation offer excellent discounts on fares.
26. Avis: Up to 30% off with AARP membership (50+).
27. Budget: Up to 30% off with AARP membership (50+).
28. Delta: Discounted senior fares on specific flights (65+); not available on Delta.com.
29. Amtrak: 10% off (65+).
30. Carnival: Discounts on select cruises (55+).
31. Royal Caribbean: Discounts on select cruises (55+).
Join senior organizations, like AARP or your local senior citizen center, to nab other deals.