Children's Exercise Guide: Preschoolers 3-5 Years Old
Games you and your babysitter can do with kids that will boost their heart rate, keep them entertained and inspire healthy habits.
The NASPE guidelines for activities for preschoolers states that 3 -5 year olds should:
- Accumulate at least 60 minutes of structured physical activity each day, at least 60 minutes of unstructured physical activity each day, and should not be sedentary for more than 60 minutes at a time, except sleeping.
- Develop competence in fundamental motor skills.
Game: Sleeping Giants
Description: A combination of "pretend play" and physical activity to stimulate imagination and multi-directional movement while strengthening heart, lungs, muscles and agility.
- Explain to the children that they are going to pretend to be giants who like to jump. Let them jump up and down for fun and practice. Tell them to stop jumping when you say "Sleeping Giants!"
- Once they hear "Sleeping Giants" children will stop and lie very still on the floor. When you say "Waking Giants" the children will jump up and down until you call out "Sleeping Giants" again.
- Continue the game to allow children to practice stopping and starting. Substitute other motor skills instead of jumping, for example walking (penguins!), hopping (frogs!), skipping (elephants!), crawling (bears!) and marching.
- Additional ideas to include are creating masks or use dramatic play props as they pretend to be giants; inventing facial expressions, sounds, or movements that they think a giant would make; taking photos of the children moving like giants and sending them to their friends.
Physical and Mental Skills:
- Listening & Understanding. Children are being able to follow simple and multiple-step directions.
- Gross Motor Skills. There's improved proficiency, control and balance in walking, running, jumping, hopping, skipping, marching.
- Social/emotional development. Cultivates a sense of belonging; a sense of humor; understanding of body awareness.
Physical Development.Moderate to vigorous intensity activity which increases cardiovascular and muscle strength, and endurance.
|Previous: Toddlers 1-3 Years Old «||Next: School-aged Kids 6-8 Years Old »|
Affordable full time live-in child care for all your kids @ $340/wk. Search for your Au Pair today!
Hire Pediatric Nurses, Pre-School or Special Needs Teachers at $11.30/h incl. health care.
The world’s most experienced and largest intercultural live-in child care program.
A multi-award winning online learning program designed to teach children how to read. For ages 3-13.
One of the lowest cost au pair agencies with unbeatable screening, matching and support services.
Obamacare: Compare the Best Plans at America's #1 Health Insurance Site
We bring learning & fun together in a safe, convenient & nurturing environment before & after school
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Since 1988, EurAupair has been devoted to assisting families with their child care needs.
Come see what's new at KinderCare.