How to switch your household employment tax and payroll service to HomePay - HomePay

Resource Center

What can we help you find?

How to switch your household employment tax and payroll service to HomePay

4 easy steps to transition your nanny or senior caregiver without hassle or interruption

HomePay provides household employment tax and payroll services

We regularly hear from families who are not satisfied with the company that is handling their household employment tax and payroll needs. They want a better solution for a variety of reasons, but most are concerned with the work involved to move over to our service. The good news is we make it very easy to transition over to HomePay and will take care of the majority of the work for you. 

Here are the four steps you’ll need to follow to seamlessly move your nanny or senior caregiver’s payroll, and your taxes, over to our comprehensive service.

Step 1: Reach out to HomePay and organize the details of your transfer

You have two options here – you can either start a registration by visiting our website and inputting the information we’ll need, or call us at (888) 273-3356 and we’ll spend as much time as you need getting things organized and set up with our service. Based on how your employee(s) are currently being paid, we’ll come up with the right date to switch over to HomePay so their payday won’t be interrupted. If you’re concerned about transferring close to a tax filing deadline or the end of a quarter, we’ll work around these dates to ensure nothing slips through the cracks.

Step 2: Send us your payroll or tax filing information

If any household employment tax returns have been filed this year, we’ll request copies of them to gather necessary information like tax account numbers, wage totals that you’ve paid your employee(s) and the amount of taxes you’ve withheld. We’ll also check the returns for accuracy to make sure your previous service did everything the IRS and the state requires. If tax returns have not been filed, we’ll ask for the payroll records you have instead.

You should have access to all this information with your current provider, but if not, you can ask for it when you stop service with them. For your current employee(s), we just need their name(s) and email address and we’ll take care of on-boarding them for you, unless you’d like to do that yourself. 

Step 3: Contact your current service and set an end date

You will probably want to stop your existing household employment service a couple of weeks out from when you call or email the company so there is time for them to complete the current pay period you’re in. Make sure you communicate that you’re moving to a different service and that payroll will continue. This will avoid your current service closing your federal or state tax accounts. You need those to stay active so we can file tax returns on your behalf. 

Please also inform them that they do not need to do any work at the end of the year preparing W-2s for your employee(s) or filing any year-end tax forms. We’ll handle all of those items for you moving forward.

Step 4: Let your employee(s) know you’re switching to HomePay

If you choose to have us do the onboarding for your employee(s), giving them a heads-up about transitioning to our service would be a good idea. Specifically, we’ll be asking them for some personal information that we’ll need to prepare your tax returns, generate their W-2 and set up direct deposit payroll for them (if that’s how you wish for them to be paid). At this point, you should know when your first payday with HomePay will be, so you can let your employee(s) know of this date as well.

Throughout this process, feel free to reach out to us if you have questions about anything we’re doing behind the scenes for your or you employee(s). We pride ourselves on customer service and will be happy to talk, email or virtual chat with you about any concerns you may have.

Next Steps:

Get started with HomePay!

Already enrolled with HomePay? Log in