Resource Center
What can we help you find?

Answers to questions about the HomePay Tax Application Packet

Get more information about state ID applications, power of attorney forms and how we use DocuSign

Answers to questions about the HomePay Tax Application Packet

As part of the HomePay setup process, we send a Tax Application Packet for you to complete. Because you may not be familiar with the documents in it, we want to address some common questions families have about them.

What is the Tax Application Packet?

As a household employer, you are required to have federal and state tax account identification numbers, and if you don’t already have them, we’ll obtain them for you. The Tax Application Packet includes the federal and state tax account applications, power of attorney forms, and any other required forms to establish your tax accounts.

I’ve already received my Federal Employer Identification Number in the mail. Do I still need to sign and return the SS-4 application?

Yes. To expedite the setup of your tax accounts, we have already applied for your FEIN, and it is important we have the application on file for our records. You may keep the confirmation letter you received from the IRS with your FEIN for your records.

How do I complete the Tax Application Packet via DocuSign?

We have put together step-by-step instructions for completing these forms in DocuSign so that you don’t have to worry about mailing them back to our office. If you live in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, IL, MA, MD, ME, MN, MS, NC, NM, NY, OK, PA, RI, SD, UT, VT, WI, WV, or VA, click here to download these instructions. If you are located in any other state, download your instructions here.

Do I need to fill in the blanks on the forms in this packet?

No. We’ve already completed all of the necessary fields for you.

Why isn’t my spouse listed on any forms? Do they also need to sign the forms in this packet?

No. Household employer tax accounts can only be registered under one person’s name, so your spouse does not need to be listed on any forms. As the employer, you are the only person required to sign any of the forms.

Why do I need to sign a power of attorney form?

The power of attorney form gives us limited authority to act as your representative when we need to communicate and correspond with state tax agencies on your behalf. You’re only authorizing us to handle household employment tax matters when you sign these forms.

DocuSign is asking for me to upload or attach a document. What document is that?

Your state requires at least one of the documents in your Tax Application Packet to be notarized. You’ll need to print these pages out, get them notarized and upload them to DocuSign so we can move forward with setting up your HomePay account.

Where can I find a notary public to get my forms notarized?

Most banks and credit unions offer this service for free, but you can also contact your nearest UPS or FedEx store to see when they have a notary on staff. Additionally, if you prefer to use an online resource, we recommend

DocuSign only lets me upload one page of the Tax Application Packet. How do I send the rest?

This is most likely because you’ve saved each individual page as a file and DocuSign only allows you to attach one file. Please either save your completed Tax Application Packet as one file and try again or feel free to email all of the pages to us at and we’ll take over from there.

What is the Form 8821 in my Tax Application Packet used for?

The federal Form 8821 allows us to electronically remit your federal 1040-ES taxes related to your household employment to the IRS. This form does NOT give us access to your personal tax information.

I have power of attorney for the employer on a HomePay account. Can I sign the Tax Application Packet?

The person listed as the employer is always the person required to sign the forms. However, if you have durable power of attorney over the employer, you may sign the packet and attach a copy of your durable power of attorney form.

Who are Breedlove & Associates, Desiree Leung and Rebecca Seaton?

Breedlove & Associates is the legal name of our company when we were created back in 1992. We are a subsidiary of and our service name is HomePay. Desiree Leung and Rebecca Seaton are both Directors at HomePay/Breedlove & Associates and have been with the company since 2007.

We hope you’ve found the answer to the question you have about the Tax Application Packet, but if not, please reach out to us at (888) 273-3356 or email us at and we’ll be happy to help. Thank you for joining HomePay — we’re excited to begin working with you!

Get started with HomePay!

Already enrolled with HomePay? Log in