The 2019 guide to gift-giving: Best recs for every member of your tribe
The gift-giving season is in full swing. But if you find you haven’t made a list, much less checked it twice, don’t worry — you’re not alone and we’re here to help! From advice on what’s appropriate to spend to best gifts for toddlers, teens, teachers and everyone in between, we’ve got you covered this year. Read on for recommendations for every gift giver — and receiver!
Guide to spending
While our economy has been healthy, the Care.com 2019 Cost of Holidays Survey found that 47% of families plan to spend the same amount on holiday gifts this year as they did in 2018. Only 20% of families plan to spend more while 33% plan to spend less in the 2019 holiday season.
Most families (28%) plan to spend $250-$499.
23% plan to spend $500-$749.
Only 18% plan to spend $1,000+.
While every family's budget is different, there are some standards when it comes to tipping. (Check out our guide to holiday tipping to find out whom you should tip and how much.) According to our survey, 21% of families plan to spend $50-$99 on holiday tips while 22% will spend $100-$249. Most families (29%) plan to tip less than $50 this year.
Best gifts for every age and interest
Now it’s time to get shopping! It’s not easy buying gifts for all the wonderful — and very different — people on your list, but we’ve rounded up several of our best gift guides so you can easily find the perfect gift for the right person. Whether you need gifts for kids, grandparents, teachers, child care providers or furry friends — or maybe you’re looking for budget-friendly or DIY ideas — we’ve got something for you:
For the budget-conscious gifter
Gift for kids
- Best toys for 6-month-old babies
- Best toys for 9-month-old babies
- The 10 best gifts for toddlers
- Great gifts for big kids: Ages 6 to 10
- 18 of the best gender-neutral toys for kids
- 27 best children’s books with meaningful stories
- 15 non-toy gifts for kids
Tips on gifting to kids
- Kid gifts that parents hate
- 6 tips for buying toys for special needs children
- Tips for toy safety and an age-by-age buying guide
Gifts for caregivers and teachers
- 12 gift ideas for all your caregivers
- 11 gifts kids can make for their nanny or sitter
- 27 kid-made gifts for teachers
- Holiday tipping guide
Gifts for new and expecting parents
Gifts for seniors and grandparents
Gifts for pets