32 senior discounts for clothing, food and travel
If you're over 50, you can start cashing in on senior discounts. Many stores offer their senior shoppers some form of a deal, but it's often available only on a specific day or at certain times.
Discounts can change and might vary for national chains, so make sure you check with individual stores to confirm any details or age requirements. Here's a handy list of current discounts to get you started.
Apparel, retail and thrift stores
Before you head out with friends or family for some retail therapy, do a little leg work ahead of time to locate the stores offering discounts.
1. Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location) (60+)
2. Kohl's: 15% off discount every Wednesday (60+)
3. Belk: Up to 20% off on Tuesdays (55+)
4. Ross Stores: 10% off on Tuesdays (55+)
5. Jo-Ann Fabric: 20% off on Senior Discount Days (date varies by location) (55+)
6. UPS Store: Up to 15% with AARP membership (50+)
Grocery and pharmacy
Every little bit helps, especially when purchasing daily necessities. With a pre-shopping plan, seniors can save on things like paper towels, bread and prescriptions at a variety of their favorite stores.
7. Fred Meyer: 10% off select items (55+)
8. Harris Teeter: 5% off on Thursdays (60+)
9. Hy-Vee: 5% discount on select Wednesdays (date varies by location) (55+)
10. Rite Aid: 20% off the first Wednesdays, plus a free pharmacist consultation (65+)
11. Walgreens: Up to 30% off on Seniors Day (locations vary) (55+)
12. LensCrafters: Discounts on lenses, frames, exams, etc. with AARP membership (50+)
Restaurants and entertainment
Most restaurants offer a senior menu with smaller portions or will take a percentage off the total bill. Early diners may save more by eating during early-bird hours, ordering a late afternoon meal from the lunch menu or splitting an entrée to leave room for dessert. After dinner, check out discounts on movie theaters. Or if you’re traveling, visit a national park.
13. El Pollo Loco: 10% off (60+)
14. Denny's: 10% off or 20% off for AARP members on seniors menu (55+)
15. IHOP: 10% off plus senior menu (55+)
16. Bob Evans: Discounted items on senior menu (55+)
17. Carrabba’s Italian Grill: 10% off with AARP membership (50+)
18. AMC Theatres: Discounted tickets, various prices (60+)
19. Cinemark: Discounted tickets on Senior Day (62+)
20. National Parks: $20 annual park pass, $80 lifetime pass, plus 50% off select amenities (62+)
Many seniors might not think about a weekend away as an opportunity to save money. However, plenty of car rental companies, airlines, cruise lines and other methods of transportation offer excellent discounts on fares.
21. Avis: AARP members get up to 30% off rentals (50+)
22. Delta: Discounted senior fares on specific flights (65+)
23. Amtrak: 10% off (65+)
24. Greyhound: 5% off (62+)
25. Carnival: Discounts on select cruises (55+)
26. Royal Caribbean: Discounts on select cruises (55+)
Some mainstream hotels offer discounts on an endless number of destinations. Plan a night or two elsewhere and bring your partner, friends or family along.
27. Best Western: Up to 15% off (55+)
28. Marriott: Up to 25% off (62+)
29. Choice Hotels: Up to 10% off (60+)
30. Motel 6: Up to 10% off (60+)
31. Red Roof Inn: Up to 10% off (59+)
32. Wyndham Hotels & Resorts: 10% off with AARP membership (50+)
Join senior organizations, like AARP or your local senior citizen center, to nab other deals.