The Back to School Cheat Sheet
What parents need to remember when it's time to go back to school.
The kids get their list of school supplies each fall. Why should they have all the fun?
Here's what you'll need in terms of supplies, information and systems to get your school year off right:
Supplies to buy:
- 3-ring binder
- Large plastic envelope
- Pocket folders for each child
- Clear protector sheets
- Index sheets
- Label maker
- Paper calendar
- Cubbies or drawers for activities
- Printer paper
- High lighters
- Needles & Thread for last minute rips
Info to gather:
- Medical forms (originals and 5 copies, original also scanned into computer)
- Class list (hard copy & electronic)
- Emergency contact info (copies hard and electronic at home, cell, caregiver and kids)
- After-school activities: locations, dates and times, plus carpool info (hard copy & electronic)
- Vacation days and half-days, with a care plan in place for each
- Pick-up and drop-off system: neighbor carpools, bus stop locations, after-school babysitter
Technology to help:
- Electronic calendar
- Downloadable apps such as ReQuall, The Agenda Widget, or See-Fi Calendar
- Homework checked
- Tests signed
- School forms reviewed
- Calendar reviewed and updated
- Email to confirm playdates, carpool, etc.
- Lunches packed
- Clothes laid out
- Uniforms, instruments near back pack
- Check the Family Binder
- Check outbox for last-minute items
- Run through the day with kids, caregiver, spouse, grandparents.
- Breathe, Smile, You're doing great!