Texas - Health Care
Even if you think your loved one has plenty of health care coverage, making sure they have affordable insurance early on will save you from rushing to find appropriate coverage when your loved one needs it. Family members can explore each health care avenue and find the one that works best.
Health Insurance Options
In the state of Texas, there are several different health care options that an aging family member may qualify for:
- Employer Coverage: If the insurance seeker is still employed there may be coverage from their employer. If they are retired, many employers include some sort of coverage in their retirement plan. Make sure to check into this route early, because if one qualifies, this can be the most affordable option.
- Non-employer Group Coverage: If a senior belongs to a group of any kind (trade unions, fraternal organizations, religious institutions, etc.), there may be some sort of coverage plan they can take advantage of. These types of insurance are somewhat rare, but are worth looking into.
- Medicare: Medicare pays a large portion of a senior's medical costs, but there are very specific rules for eligibility. To check if you are eligible take a look at the Medicare Eligibility Tool from www.medicare.gov.
- Medicaid: Medicaid is more income-based, but, like Medicare, one must be eligible to receive Medicaid based on some guidelines. In Texas, the Health and Human Services Commission determines Medicaid eligibility.
- Private Plans: There is always the option of purchasing an individual plan. This is often expensive, but with enough research one can likely find a suitable plan.
- Texas Health Insurance Pool: If one is unable to obtain health coverage through any of the other avenues, they can apply for coverage through the Texas Health Insurance Pool. One must fit into certain guidelines to be eligible. More information can be found at the Health Pool website.
For more information on Texas Senior Health Insurance please visit the Texas Health Options Website.
Texas Health Care Association: provides information and assistance for seniors in search of health care in Texas.
Medicare: Information regarding Medicare and Medicare eligibility.
Medicaid: Information regarding Medicaid and Medicaid eligibility.
Senior Care Guide: Care.com's comprehensive guide to senior care that helps readers understand senior care options by describing each option in detail and answering frequently asked questions.
For more information on senior healthcare, visit our Articles and Resources page.
Looking for quality senior care in Texas? Take a look at the local pages below.