Planning for an Overseas Change of Station (DEROS)
Use this checklist if your next military assignment is overseas.
This content is provided courtesy of USAA.
Overseas moves require more planning than domestic moves. Stay ahead of the game with careful preparation.
Get important documents in order at least six months in advance
- Medical and dental records
- Advance driver's license renewals
- International driver's permit (if necessary)
- Wills and powers of attorney
- Absentee voting information
Open all new accounts before your move
- Many European Union countries do not allow new U.S. bank, loan, brokerage or financial planning accounts to be opened within the area.
Take advantage of "bank anywhere" accounts
- Free ATM access nationwide
- Free checking accounts
- No-fee savings accounts
- Free bill pay
Be prepared for your journey overseas
- Get extra passport photos for overseas documents.
- Learn about driving regulations overseas.
- Update your vaccinations.
- If you own a firearm, make plans to store or ship it.
- Arrange for pickup of your unaccompanied baggage.
- Find out what the country's entrance requirements are for pets.
Take care of your car or truck
- If you're storing your vehicle, ask your insurer about reduced insurance rates.
- Remember, the government will only pay for the shipment of one privately owned vehicle.
- If you're shipping your vehicle and you don't own it, get written authorization from your lender or lessee.
Join free today
Sign up now! It only takes a few minutes.
I'd like to...
Who needs care?
What type of ?
When do you need ?
What services do you offer?
What best describes you?
Last, but not least...
Fill in the blanks to create your account.
Thanks—you're almost there.
Create your login below.