Does My Child Need a Tutor?
Warning signs to look for and how to get help.
Tiffany Smith, Senior Associate Editor
Articles> Parent Resources> Does My Child Need a Tutor?
upset boy on bed

Nothing sends a clearer message about your child's education than a failing grade. Usually, there are signs that your child needs help before that kind of report card arrives. Talk to your child's teachers if you suspect there's a problem. In many cases, they will have suggestions to help you address educational challenges. Your school's guidance counselor can also be an excellent resource.

It can be difficult to determine the cause of the trouble your child might be having at school. While sometimes the teacher may not be a perfect match for your child's learning style, remember that the problem could also be as simple as your child needing a new prescription for his glasses or to to be moved away from a distracting student.

Warning signs

However, it might be time to take action if your child:

  • Seems to work hard, but still receives mediocre grades.
  • Takes a surprisingly long time to finish what seems like a basic homework assignment.
  • Despairs that he will never do well in school.
  • Gets easily distracted when trying to focus on homework and makes excuses about why it isn't getting done.
  • Frequently expresses frustration with particular teachers or subjects.
  • Gets angry with you when you try to explain something she doesn't understand.
  • Starts to say he hates school and doesn't see the point of doing well.
  • Might be an advanced learner who is bored with classes and needs more challenging work to stay focused.
  • Appears stressed and anxious about scoring well on the SATs and other standardized tests, which could trigger difficulties at school or at home.

How to get help

If you see your child struggling, take action.

  • Talk with your child
  • Remember that your child's teacher and school guidance counselor are trained to address this type of situation.
  • Make an appointment with one or both of them.
  • Tell them your concerns and see what their perspective is.
  • Reach out for help; find a tutor or a tutoring center in your area who can work with your child one-on-one.

Tiffany Smith is the senior associate editor here at She has written for All You, Time for Kids and the Boston Globe. And as a former babysitter, she knows a lot about fun games to play with kids. Getting them to eat their veggies -- that’s a different story! Follow her on Twitter at @tiffanyiswrite

Check out special needs child care near you:
Saint Louis, MO
Danvers, MA
Brentwood, CA
Springfield, MA
Red Wing, MN
Or take a look at some other care options:
Or take a look at some other care options:
Get the right care—
right when you need it.
Get the right care—right when you need it.
Already a member? Sign in
(4) Comments
hello,i need help four my 7 year old in all subjects he was born early and he is so far behind in his class that i want to get them some heip he is in the first grade.
April 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Yina Chacon
Yina Chacon
Hello,i really need a math and reading tutor for my 7 year old daugter.
February 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Sorana C.
Sorana C.
I really need a math/reading/science tutor for my 11 year old daugter
January 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM
plz plz need a computer turtor
January 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Leave a Comment

You can post a comment by logging in to your account or post as a guest.

Success! Your comment is waiting to be approved. It will post soon.
Post another comment
Join free today
Sign up now! It only takes a few minutes.
What best describes you?
Thanks—you're almost there.
Create your login below.