Continuing Care Retirement Communities Guide: Questions Before Choosing a CCRC
When choosing a Continuing Care Retirement Community, you'll want to ask yourself the following:
- Do I want to live near my current location?
- Am I free to visit family and friends on weekends and take other trips? Are they free to visit or even stay with me? Are young children welcome to visit?
- Will I continue to meet friends, have the same doctors, and attend the same religious services if I stay nearby?
- Do I want to move to another city or state so I can be closer to other family members or enjoy nicer weather?
- What types of living/care arrangements are available where I want to live?
- How much personal space do I really want or need?
- Do I want a kitchen, and if so, how big? Is there a place for dining/meals when I don't want to cook?
- Do I want property/grass/a patio or ground floor living?
- Are there cleaning services available?
- Would I prefer a view and enjoy an elevator?
- Are the grounds and buildings well kept? What amenities appeal to me, such as tennis courts, golf courses, walking trails or a fitness workout room?
- What transportation do they offer if/when I choose to stop driving?
- What's their transportation schedule for shopping and excursions?
- What are the average age/gender/religious affiliations/education/life experience and other interests of the residents? What connections might I have with other residents?
- What happens when I need other types of care? Will I need to change doctors or does the facility have their own in-house medical staff for emergencies?
- How do they background-check their staff-and what level of offense is acceptable?
- How do I handle issues I might have with the staff?
More Senior Care Services
- Call a Care.com Senior Care Advisor for more assistance: 855-490-8679
- Join in on Senior Care Conversations now! Read our informative Senior Care Blog.
- Caring for your kids AND an aging parent? Join our Sandwhich Generation Group.
- Are you caring for your parent from a distance? Have discussions with other Long Distance Senior Caregivers.
- Join our Senior Care Questions Group to get more questions answered and find caregivers similar to you
>>Review the Senior Care Index for all senior care options.
|Previous: Cost of CCRCs «|
Find the senior care your loved one deserves
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Over 900,000 Procedures Performed. Get 20% off LASIK today! Locations Nationwide.
Get a Cash Offer Good for 30 Days! Free Shipping + Fast Payment. Lock in a Risk-Free Offer Today!
Get a FREE security system when you order an award-winning monitoring service from Protect America.