Hiring Caregivers Guide: How to Prepare for the First Week
Use the following tips to get off to a good start during the first week with a new caregiver.
- Be available. If you're a long distance caregiver, you'll have to make plans to be there the first few days. Plan one day for them to observe you and take notes (at least for a couple of hours) and then another day where you're the observer, taking notes, answering questions and making suggestions.
- Create a notebook and include a typical schedule, important numbers, contacts, etc.
- Don't expect your ways to be followed to the letter, but pick one or two very important items that you do want done "your way," and follow through until you get the results you want. Be clear, be consistent.
- Allow the home care aide to find new ways to tackle certain problems-and acknowledge their input.
- Don't be surprised if your loved one rebels and doesn't like this person right away-give it time.
- Don't be surprised if it turns out they like the new care taker better than you do!
- Resist the urge to move too fast emotionally and make your new employee an extended family member-trust should be natural and takes time.
- Stop by at odd times. Not practical? Check on them often by phone, email, or visits.
- Ask what the most challenging part of the week was-and brainstorm together for solutions.
- Expect this to take a bit of time-try to not to nitpick-and allow the companion to give care and attention in their own unique style.
More Senior Care Services
- Call a Care.com Senior Care Advisor for more assistance: 855-490-8679
- Join in on Senior Care Conversations now! Read our informative Senior Care Blog.
- Caring for your kids AND an aging parent? Join our Sandwhich Generation Group.
- Are you caring for your parent from a distance? Have discussions with other Long Distance Senior Caregivers.
- Join our Senior Care Questions Group to get more of your questions answered and find caregivers similar to you
>>Review the Senior Care Index for all senior care options.
|Previous: Senior Caregiver Interview Tips «|
Find the senior care your loved one deserves
Over 900,000 Procedures Performed. Get 20% off LASIK today! Locations Nationwide.
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Get a Cash Offer Good for 30 Days! Free Shipping + Fast Payment. Lock in a Risk-Free Offer Today!
Get a FREE security system when you order an award-winning monitoring service from Protect America.