Respite Care: How to Encourage Family Participation
As a family caregiver, you'll want to keep the rest of your family and friends informed on your parent's health, as well as the daily joys and struggles you experience. This can be a great way to encourage family respite participation. Here's how to keep everyone connected, without getting overwhelmed.
- Use Social Sites. Facebook and other social media tools are an easy way to stay in touch. Update them about medical conditions. Include the humorous and touching day-to-day moments. Read our article about social media use and other technology for more information.
- Text. Stay in touch with your grandchildren, nieces, nephews and those younger than you-create a sense of family every way you can.
- Start a blog about your care journey. Keep it short, use humor, and yes, be honest-even about the tough times.
- Add sound. Skype or use a speaker phone to update family and friends about health matters, but also for holidays when you can't get together.
- Go old fashioned. Hand write or email for your loved one. Let them dictate their message through you.
- Host a gathering. Invite family and friends over-yours and your loved ones. They might offer a few hours of respite-but more than that-their friendship is invaluable for both of you.
- Ask for help. Post it on Facebook, send out an email, or ask at your church or synagogue. Ask for a three-hour break so you can go to the dentist or have lunch with a friend-start small. Show your vulnerability. People want to give but you need to be specific.
More Senior Care Services
- Call a Care.com Senior Care Advisor for more assistance: 855-490-8679
- Join in on Senior Care Conversations now! Read our informative Senior Care Blog.
- Caring for your kids AND an aging parent? Join our Sandwhich Generation Group.
- Are you caring for your parent from a distance? Have discussions with other Long Distance Senior Caregivers.
- Join our Senior Care Questions Group to get more questions answered and find caregivers similar to you
>>Review the Senior Care Index for all senior care options.
|Previous: How to Get "Respite Minutes" «||Next: Respite Support Groups »|
Find the senior care your loved one deserves
Over 900,000 Procedures Performed. Get 20% off LASIK today! Locations Nationwide.
Get a Cash Offer Good for 30 Days! Free Shipping + Fast Payment. Lock in a Risk-Free Offer Today!
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Get a FREE security system when you order an award-winning monitoring service from Protect America.