Aging in Place Guide: 4 Tips to Successfully Age at Home
You've surveyed the premises, asked the important safety questions, moved the master bedroom downstairs and done all the prep so your parent can safely grow old in the comfort of his own home. But now what? Plans change, health can go haywire. Here's how you can create a system of check-ins that doesn't look like hovering:
- Create Expectations. Agree together on the importance of continuously assessing their situation. This includes how their home is being kept up, ensuring they are taking their medication properly, assessing their driving skills, etc. You may even want to begin to scout other forms of transportation for when the time comes to put away the car keys.
- Use Technology. Establish ways you can check on them throughout the day and night. Discuss with them the advantages of using a web/nanny cam, as well as a monitoring system for falls and other emergencies. Also consider daily check-in calls or visits from neighbors or other people who will stop by to say hello.
- Make food prep easier. Investigate Meals on Wheels or other elder agencies that make house calls. And you can stop by often to see for yourself that they're eating, taking their meds, and are functioning well.
- Create a care team. Keep a list of "helpers" nearby-neighbors, your siblings and other extended family members, church or synagogue friends, volunteers, community outreach and elder care agencies-all of whom can be pressed into service for an emergency or just an important errand.
More Senior Care Services
- Call a Care.com Senior Care Advisor for more assistance: 855-490-8679
- Join in on Senior Care Conversations now! Read our informative Senior Care Blog.
- Caring for your kids AND an aging parent? Join our Sandwhich Generation Group.
- Are you caring for your parent from a distance? Have discussions with other Long Distance Senior Caregivers.
- Join our Senior Care Questions Group to get more of your questions answered and find caregivers similar to you
>>Review the Senior Care Index for all senior care options.
|Previous: 4 Safe Options for Aging in Place «||Next: 10 Home Dangers to Beware Of »|
Find the senior care your loved one deserves
Get a Cash Offer Good for 30 Days! Free Shipping + Fast Payment. Lock in a Risk-Free Offer Today!
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Over 900,000 Procedures Performed. Get 20% off LASIK today! Locations Nationwide.
Get a FREE security system when you order an award-winning monitoring service from Protect America.