Cost of Care: How much should I charge for housekeeping services?
Tips on determining reasonable houskeeping fees.
The cost of housekeeping services can be based on a variety of factors and varies from one area to another.
It is usually necessary to have an in-home consultation with your prospective employer, so you can get a better understanding of the home, the cleaning requirements, and exactly what you're expected to do, in order to determine the correct price.
Assess the Job
Here are some factors you should look and and consider when deciding how much to charge for housekeeping.
- Size of the home (number of bedrooms/bathrooms)
- Frequency of cleaning (weekly, bimonthly)
- Number of people and pets in the household
- Level of clutter (can you access the areas to be cleaned?)
- Number of different surfaces to be cleaned
- Special requirements, such as cleaning windows
- Your level of experience
- Number of people cleaning (an individual or team from an agency)
- Whether you will be paid by the job or by the hour
Look at Estimates
You don't want to low ball your fees and lose money, but you also don't want to charge fees that are too high and drive off potential customers. Look at other housekeepers and housecleaning services in your area on Care.com. What do they charge? Ask people you know who have hired a cleaning service about how much they paid. Here are some rough estimates to help you settle on a number.
- In larger metropolitan areas, for a medium-sized apartment or house, an individual housekeeper can charge about $100 per cleaning.
- In larger metropolitan areas, for a medium-sized apartment or house, a large national cleaning chain companies might charge about $175 per cleaning.
- In less populated cities or towns, for an average-sized house (2500 square feet), in individual housekeeper might charge approximately $75 per cleaning.
Once you settle on a possible range, be prepared to negotiate with prospective employers in order to arrive at a fair price that reflects your skills and experience and what the job entails.
You May Also Like: