What Questions Should I Ask a Nanny Agency?
Play 20 questions and use this checklist to find out information about a nanny agency before you sign up.
A nanny agency may be a great option for you to find child care. Read our article on What Is a Nanny Agency? »
When you discover a full service nanny placement agency you think is a good fit, there is a lot of information you should find out -- either through the company's website, a phone call or an in-person meeting with the agency.
Here are possible topics to address when choosing and vetting a nanny agency:
- How many years have you been in business?
- What licenses and insurance do you have?
- Do you have any awards or special credentials, associations or partnerships I should know about?
- How much experience do you have with my type of placement needs (live-in, live-out, permanent, part-time, nanny share, etc.)?
- Do you have any families I can talk to as references?
- Explain how you source and screen your nannies. Do you meet them in person?
- Do they go through any special trainings or certifications (like CPR or first aid)?
- What kind of vetting process do you put your nannies through?
- What kinds of background checks do you do and who does them for you?
- How many reference checks and job history checks do you do?
- How many candidates do you typically present to clients?
- Will you help me through the scheduling and interviewing process?
- Do you help with job offers and employment agreements?
- How do charge for your service?
- What specific services do you provide for that fee?
- Are there elements of the placement/employment process that you don?t help with?
- Do you guarantee the placement? If so, for how long?
- What kind of post-placement support do you provide and for how long?
- If my situation changes (new baby, new pet, oldest child goes to school, etc.), will you help me adjust schedule/duties/compensation?
- Who will I be working with and how will we handle most of our communication?
Corey Whelan is a freelance writer in New York. Her work can be found here.
Since 1988, EurAupair has been devoted to assisting families with their child care needs.
Tour your local KinderCare for a chance to win a one-of-a-kind education!
Affordable full time live-in child care for all your kids @ $340/wk. Search for your Au Pair today!
Get flexible, affordable childcare you can trust like family from the leading au pair agency.
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Hire Pediatric Nurses, Pre-School or Special Needs Teachers at $11.30/h incl. health care.
The world’s most experienced and largest intercultural live-in child care program.