What Questions Should I Ask a Nanny Agency?
Play 20 questions and use this checklist to find out information about a nanny agency before you sign up.
A nanny agency may be a great option for you to find child care. Read our article on What Is a Nanny Agency? »
When you discover a full service nanny placement agency you think is a good fit, there is a lot of information you should find out -- either through the company's website, a phone call or an in-person meeting with the agency.
Here are possible topics to address when choosing and vetting a nanny agency:
- How many years have you been in business?
- What licenses and insurance do you have?
- Do you have any awards or special credentials, associations or partnerships I should know about?
- How much experience do you have with my type of placement needs (live-in, live-out, permanent, part-time, nanny share, etc.)?
- Do you have any families I can talk to as references?
- Explain how you source and screen your nannies. Do you meet them in person?
- Do they go through any special trainings or certifications (like CPR or first aid)?
- What kind of vetting process do you put your nannies through?
- What kinds of background checks do you do and who does them for you?
- How many reference checks and job history checks do you do?
- How many candidates do you typically present to clients?
- Will you help me through the scheduling and interviewing process?
- Do you help with job offers and employment agreements?
- How do charge for your service?
- What specific services do you provide for that fee?
- Are there elements of the placement/employment process that you don?t help with?
- Do you guarantee the placement? If so, for how long?
- What kind of post-placement support do you provide and for how long?
- If my situation changes (new baby, new pet, oldest child goes to school, etc.), will you help me adjust schedule/duties/compensation?
- Who will I be working with and how will we handle most of our communication?
Corey Whelan is a freelance writer in New York. Her work can be found here.
The world’s most experienced and largest intercultural live-in child care program.
Hire Pediatric Nurses, Pre-School or Special Needs Teachers at $11.30/h incl. health care.
We bring learning & fun together in a safe, convenient & nurturing environment before & after school
Come see what's new at KinderCare.
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Save up to $875 on affordable childcare you can trust like family from the leading au pair agency.
Affordable full time live-in child care for all your kids @ $340/wk. Search for your Au Pair today!
Since 1988, EurAupair has been devoted to assisting families with their child care needs.