Planning for an Overseas Change of Station (DEROS)
Use this checklist if your next military assignment is overseas.
This content is provided courtesy of USAA.
Overseas moves require more planning than domestic moves. Stay ahead of the game with careful preparation.
Get important documents in order at least six months in advance
- Medical and dental records
- Advance driver's license renewals
- International driver's permit (if necessary)
- Wills and powers of attorney
- Absentee voting information
Open all new accounts before your move
- Many European Union countries do not allow new U.S. bank, loan, brokerage or financial planning accounts to be opened within the area.
Take advantage of "bank anywhere" accounts
- Free ATM access nationwide
- Free checking accounts
- No-fee savings accounts
- Free bill pay
Be prepared for your journey overseas
- Get extra passport photos for overseas documents.
- Learn about driving regulations overseas.
- Update your vaccinations.
- If you own a firearm, make plans to store or ship it.
- Arrange for pickup of your unaccompanied baggage.
- Find out what the country's entrance requirements are for pets.
Take care of your car or truck
- If you're storing your vehicle, ask your insurer about reduced insurance rates.
- Remember, the government will only pay for the shipment of one privately owned vehicle.
- If you're shipping your vehicle and you don't own it, get written authorization from your lender or lessee.
Affordable full time live-in child care for all your kids @ $340/wk. Search for your Au Pair today!
Register by 12/10 to save up to $875 on childcare from the leading au pair agency!
Tour your local KinderCare for a chance to win a one-of-a-kind education!
Hire Pediatric Nurses, Pre-School or Special Needs Teachers at $11.30/h incl. health care.
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Since 1988, EurAupair has been devoted to assisting families with their child care needs.
The world’s most experienced and largest intercultural live-in child care program.