How to Interview a Nanny: Phone Interviews
Save time with brief phone calls
Congratulations, you're still alive
So you've narrowed your applicants to a manageable group. Now it's time to pick up the phone to talk with promising applicants.
Tip: Schedule enough time between calls so you can write notes about each applicant. It's easy to mix up details after a few calls in a row.
What to chat about
Start with a few general questions, like "What do you enjoy about being a nanny?" to help you get to know the applicant. When you're ready to dive in, cover these key topics:
- Name and email address
- Salary requirements (examples of how to address the matter would be: "What salary range are you looking for?" or "We will be paying $X, are you comfortable with that?")
- Confirm that the caregiver is eligible to work in the United States, has a valid driver's license and had a clean driving and criminal record
- Language requirements or barriers, such as needing a particular native or dominant language
- Contact information for references
Don't forget job requirements
You'll also want to review the general requirements of the job and determine if they'll be able to take on what you need. Don't forget to cover the points listed in your job post, including experience with:
- The number and ages of your children
- Types of activities your family likes to do
- Housekeeping responsibilities
- Driving experience
Once you have a short list of top candidates, it's time to set up in-person interviews.
|Previous: Screening Applicants «||Next: In-Person Interviews »|
Hire Pediatric Nurses, Pre-School or Special Needs Teachers at $11.30/h incl. health care.
The world’s most experienced and largest intercultural live-in child care program.
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.
Come see for yourself why KinderCare is the place where thinking thrives and friendships flourish.
Since 1988, EurAupair has been devoted to assisting families with their child care needs.
Insure your non-refundable camp fees with cancellation insurance from A+ Program Protection.
Affordable full time live-in child care for all your kids @ $340/wk. Search for your Au Pair today!
Get a Cash Offer Good for 30 Days! Free Shipping + Fast Payment. Lock in a Risk-Free Offer Today!