Ages 10-12: Set Up a Lemonade Stand
The two things are often synonymous with one another: summer and lemonade. Cool down this summer by making some lemonade with your child, and set up a stand to treat neighbors and passers by to a cool and refreshing sweet treat as too!
A lemonade stand is a great opportunity for your kids to work on their money skills, but it's also a good opportunity for them to make a difference this summer. Work with your children to choose a charity that they really care about, and donate all your earnings! Not to mention, any time your child works in the kitchen, she's practicing her measuring and fraction skills and building on her ability to follow directions. Here's a recipe for lemonade and the stand to go with it!
What You Need:
- Juicer or fork
- Spoon for stirring
- Cold Water
- Paper cups
What You Do:
Setting Up Your Lemonade Stand:
- A sturdy table
- Bright fabric or a tablecloth to cover the table
- Sturdy paper
- Strong string
- Glue stick
- Hole punch
- Paper cups
What to Do:
1. Start by helping your child choose a location. Look for a place that has tree branches, porch railings or other sturdy structures from which to hang your banner. This can be near your home or at a park near by.
2. Have your child trace and cut out the letters in the phrase "LEMONADE $.75" (or whatever price you decide to charge). If you don't make the price an even dollar amount, it's a good opportunity for kids to practice making change. Each letter should be big enough to see from a ways away - about the same size as a standard sheet of paper. To make it easier, you can print each letter from your computer and make them big enough so that they are each on one full sheet of paper. Then let your children use that as a template.
3. Use a glue stick to paste each letter onto a contrasting sheet of paper. Let dry.
4. Use a hole punch to punch two evenly spaced holes at the top of each sheet of paper. Slide the paper onto the string so that they spell the phrase correctly, then attach each end to a structure behind the lemonade stand so that the sign is clearly visible.
5. Cover your table with the bright tablecloth, set out your paper cups, and you've got the perfect spot for a summertime lemonade stand.
Read more from Education.com in this age group:
Get a Cash Offer Good for 30 Days! Free Shipping + Fast Payment. Lock in a Risk-Free Offer Today!
Since 1988, EurAupair has been devoted to assisting families with their child care needs.
Insure your non-refundable camp fees with cancellation insurance from A+ Program Protection.
The world’s most experienced and largest intercultural live-in child care program.
Hire Pediatric Nurses, Pre-School or Special Needs Teachers at $11.30/h incl. health care.
Come see for yourself why KinderCare is the place where thinking thrives and friendships flourish.
Affordable full time live-in child care for all your kids @ $340/wk. Search for your Au Pair today!
Care.com HomePaySM handles your household payroll and taxes without work, worry or risk.